Due Date: 31 July 2017, 1700 hours
The aim of this task is for you to apply the first sevenstages of the clinical reasoning cycle(Levett-Jones, 2012) to review a clinical decision. Familiarisation with the clinical reasoning cycle will support you to provide safe quality care as a Registered Nurse and will provide a foundation for the next essay in this course.
Write a 1000 word nursing essay that applies the first seven stages of the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012) to a clinical decision that you have been involved with during a Bachelor of Nursing clinical placement. The clinical decision you select can be a decision that went well or one with a negative outcome. You only need to review and describeone example of a clinical decision.
Examples of clinical decisions may include (but are not limited to):
• Responding to a change in the patient’s condition
• Care planning considering the patient’s present health status
• Reviewing planned patient interventions including medications
• Outcome from effective or ineffective communication
• Discharge planning
In your essay you must:
1) Provide a clear description of the clinical decision making process using the first seven of the eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012).
2) Use literature where relevant to support the key points you make to demonstrate evidence based practice.
• Always refer to the Griffith Health Writing and Referencing Guide
• Ensure that you use scholarly literature (digitised readings, research articles,relevant Government reports and text books) that has been published within the last 5 years.
• Refer to the marking criteria when completing your assignment. This will assist you in calculating the weightings of the sections for this assignment.
• Provide a clear introduction, sound body and conclusion to your paper.
• You may use headings to organise your work if you wish.
• The use of first person can be utilised in your writing.
• Use academic language and health specific terminology throughout.
• Submit your assignment via Turnitin on your Learning@Griffith course site.
• You must submit this assignment as instructed to be eligible for a passing grade in this course.
MARKING CRITERIA POSSIBLE MARK
CRITERION ONE: Introduction
• Has an opening paragraph that clearly identifies the aim of the assignment. /5
CRITERION TWO: Clinical Reasoning Cycle
• Clearly describes the factors influencing the clinical decision making process using the first seven of the eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle /70
CRITERION THREE: Research and use of evidence
• Identifies analyses and uses quality evidence to support the outlined relevant points.
• Uses at least 5 sources published in the last 5 years /10
CRITERION FOUR: Academic Writing
• Skilful use of language, grammar, sentence and paragraph construction to create a clear description focused on the topic /10
CRITERION FIVE: Conclusion
• Succinctly summarises the aim of the assignment /5
Weighted at 30% /100