Write a 4-5 page evidence-based proposal to support the need for a nurse informaticist in an organization who would focus on improving health care outcomes.
As you begin to prepare this assessment, you are encouraged to complete the Team Perspectives of the Nurse Informaticist activity. Completion of this will help you succeed with the assessment as you explore the nurse informaticist’s role from the different perspectives of the health care team. Completing activities is also a way to demonstrate engagement.
Nurses at the baccalaureate level in all practice areas are involved in nursing informatics through interaction with information management and patient care technologies. Nurses must not only demonstrate knowledge of and skills in health information and patient care technologies, but also how to use these tools at the bedside and organizational levels. Moreover, nurses need to recognize how information gathered from various health information sources can impact decision making at the national and state regulatory levels.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe nurses’ and the interdisciplinary team’s role in informatics with a focus on electronic health information and patient care technology to support decision making.
- Define nursing informatics and the role of the nurse informaticist.
- Explain how the nurse collaborates with the interdisciplinary team, including technologists, to improve the quality of patient care.
- Justify the need for a nurse informaticist in a health care organization.
- Competency 2: Implement evidence-based strategies to effectively manage protected health information.
- Explain evidence-based strategies that the nurse and interdisciplinary team can use to effectively manage patients’ protected health information (privacy, security, and confidentiality).
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication to facilitate use of health information and patient care technologies.
- Follow APA style and formatting guidelines for citations and references.
- Create a clear, well-organized, and professional proposal that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.